Monday, March 2, 2009

Reading List


I have tried for years to read this book and it finally happened. My hopes were too high and I got the plot confused with "The World According to Garp" -- I was way off. But as much as I didn't LOVE this book, I soon realized that the parts that I underlined were deeply moving and well written, revealing how well the novel oscillates between extreme tragedy and unwavering hope:

"The heaviest of burdens is therefore simultaneously an image of life’s most intense fulfillment."

"A single metaphor can give birth to love."

"The crew of her soul rushed up to the deck of her body."

"It was as though she had found refuge inside a shell and the only sound she could hear was the sea of an inimical world."

"There was not a scrap of tangible evidence to show that he had spent the most wonderful years of his life with her."

No comments: