Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Art Review - Spring at the Hirshorn


Robert Gober, "Untitled," 1990

This sculpture reminds me of my 9th grade History teacher. His wife picked out his clothes for him, from the tie all the way down to the socks.

See more "Strange Bodies" at the Hirshorn Museum this month -- a fun show full of surprises!

And while you're there, be sure to circle your way around Louise Bourgeois' retrospective. Not only did it distract me from daylight "savings," the show revealed the honesty and perseverance it takes to be an artist. Abstracted bronzed body parts dangle from the walls along side framed personal notes about the artist's true source of motivation. Something about Bourgeois reminds me of my grandmother -- aesthetically sensitive and endlessly creative, all the while making you feel nurtured by her unique sense of self.


Louise Bourgeois, "The Blind Leading the Blind," 1947-49

From the Hirshorn Collection

No comments: